Have you thought about doing something and then looked at your age and said you’re too old? Maybe you were thinking about going back to school to get your high school diploma or an Associate’s degree. And you think, “I’m 38 and this will take me 2 years to complete. I don’t want to be 40 before I have my degree!” Well, my question to you would be, “How old will you be in 2 years if you don’t go back to school?” You’ll still be 40. So you can be 40 with a goal accomplished or you can be 40 and still talking about going back to school. And 40 will come and go.
Did you know that many people don’t find their stride until after 40?
- Are you a fan of Marvel comics? I am. And Stan Lee created his first hit, “The Fantastic Four” when he was almost 39. He created Spider-Man and X-Men after 40.
- Vera Wang entered the fashion world at 40
- Samuel L. Jackson landed his break out role in Jungle Fever at the age of 43
- Henry Ford was 45 when he created the Model T
- Julia Child wrote her first cookbook at age 50
- Ray Kroc bought McDonald’s at age 52. And we all know what McDonald’s is today.
- Harland Sanders, though we know him as Colonel Sanders, was 62 when he franchised Kentucky Fried Chicken
- Grandma Moses began her painting career at age 78. In 2006, one of her paintings sold for $1.2 million
- Harry Bernstein was basically an unknown writer until he was 96 and wrote his memoir, “The Invisible Wall: A Love Story That Broke Barriers”
Age should never hold you back from doing something you want to do. Whether it’s getting married, having a baby, buying a house, changing careers, becoming a missionary. Whatever dreams you have, go for it!! Because time will continue to tick. You will get older, Lord willing. And if you are 45 and live to be 90, do you want the next 45 years to look like the first?
India.Arie has a song that I absolutely love! It’s called Just Do You on her Songversation CD. The hook says, “What you waitin’ on? Who you waitin’ for? If you don’t take a chance you’ll never know what’s in store.”
I love the song so much that I wrote a short ebook based on the lyrics. Because I want everyone to have it, my book is available as a free download when you subscribe to my website, www.monicalynnefoster.com.
Be Blessed and Have a Fantastic Day!
Coming this Christmas: Blogging with Monica: 31 Days of Inspiration to Help You Live Your Best Life
Sign up for my newsletter and you’ll be the first to know when it’s available! You’ll also receive my blog directly in your email inbox!